Fibromyalgia and Brain Fog

I’ve said many times that Fibromyalgia is so much more than chronic pain, and I still agree with that.  What hurts me the most is the brain fog.  That’s what makes me feel like less of a person…less like me.  I’m a writer who now doesn’t feel like a writer, because on most days I can’t think.  Not being able to construct a complete sentence or find the right words, makes it almost impossible to write anything.  It frustrates me, because all I’ve ever wanted to do is write…about anything and everything.  I had a few dreams along with writing, but when I realized that the pain was never going to go away, writing became my safe place.  I thought that no matter how my body failed me that I would still be able to write.  I didn’t know that I was going to have to fight to keep that too. 

There was a point I just wanted to give up, but I realized that if I did I would completely lose the person I used to be.  I’m not ready to do that.  I’ll never be ready to do that.  So I’ve began to take steps to help me handle the brain fog.  I try to exercise my brain as much as possible by reading and writing even when I don’t feel like I comprehend properly or even if what I’m writing makes no sense at all.  I’ve found that if I keep at it, it starts to get a little easier.  I’m able to eventually retain some of what I’m reading and my writing begins to flow more smoothly.  I also try to exercise every day, even if it’s just a little walk.  It helps me think more clearly and overall it makes me feel better.


I hope that I continue to learn more ways to help with the brain fog.  I’ve learned to live with the pain, but I can’t live with losing who I am.  How do you handle the brain fog?

0 comments:

Post a Comment