Fibromyalgia and Weight Issues

One of the myths that surround Fibromyalgia is that it’s caused by being overweight.  I’ve had it since I was a child and I wasn’t by any means overweight when this endless nightmare started.  Approximately 25 years later, I’m considered obese.  I also have Polycystic Ovary syndrome so I’ve gotten a double dose of uncontrollable weight gain.

There are many reasons why some of us with Fibromyalgia gain weight.  The biggest cause is the hormonal imbalances that come courtesy of this monster.  Fibromyalgia affects the levels of cortisol, thyroid, serotonin and insulin and then there’s a production of growth hormones.  Can you guess what all that causes?  Our metabolism slows way down and we get fluffy.

Fatigue is also one of our biggest nemeses in trying to lose weight.   We don’t ever get enough quality sleep and on most days we feel like we’re trying to function after being dipped in molasses. It’s hard to incorporate exercise into our daily routine, when we can barely work and take care of the household.  I’m a big advocate for exercise and Fibromyalgia, not only for weight-loss, but to lower pain levels and increase happy thoughts.  This doesn’t mean it’s easy to do.  It takes time, patience and a lot of focus.

The pain all on its own is a cause for weight gain for obvious reasons. 

Most attribute medication to the sole cause of weight gain.  Some of the medications used to treat Fibromyalgia do cause weight gain, but that’s only one of the reasons.  Personally I’ve been off of all prescription medications for almost 3 years and I still have major weight issues.

Fibromyalgia makes everything a struggle and losing weight is only one of them.  If anyone has had weight loss success, please share your story.  Those of us who struggle with it, would appreciate the help and the hope.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful day/night.  Gentle hugs and lots of love! 


0 comments:

Post a Comment